Saturday, September 16, 2006

Fernando Ortega on Worship

One of the few Contemporary Christian artists I listen to is Fernando Ortega. It was hearing his rendition of the hymn “I Will Sing of My Redeemer” that sold me on his music. I immediately ran out and bought the cd that that song was on, This Bright Hour.

I ran across this interview with him from a few years ago this evening. Something about his music sets him apart from other Christian musicians, and this interview helps to show what is behind that difference. Aside from performing beautiful and faithful yet contemporary renditions of hymns, the music he writes conveys a sense of wonder at the transcendence of God and a joy in the world He has created. It’s no surprise that he was raised a Presbyterian and, at the time of this interview, was attending a Christian Reformed church. In the interview, he gives some great insights into the nature of worship, attacking sentimentalism, utilitarianism, seeker-sensitive worship, and, in his words, “the dreaded ‘drama team’”. Well worth the read.

No comments: